Digital Print Ad Specifications
U.S. News accepts digital files on CD or transmitted via FTP. U.S. News will also accept files transmitted via other ad delivery services if prior arrangements have been made with our production unit. All materials must adhere to SWOP specifications.
Please review the following requirements before submitting your files. If you have questions, contact:
Ad Management at 202-955-2040 (or e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org)
U.S. News accepts ads in industry standard PDF/X-1A format.
- Density of tone: For 4/C, maximum 300%; 2/C maximum 170% with second color not to exceed 85% overprint.
- Minimum densities: Color builds should not contain any color less than 5%. Reproduction of tints built from less than 5% of any color is not guaranteed.
- Reverse type: When lettering reverses out of CMYK, the type should not be less than 0.007" (1/2 point rule) at the thinnest part of a character. The dominant color should be used for shaping the letters, with subordinate colors spread sllghtly to minimize registration issues.
- Overprinting type: When lettering is intended to overprint, the background should be no heavier than 25% in any color and total no more than 75% in all four colors.
Reproduction quality is at the advertiser's risk if specifications are not met or if material is received after the closing date.
Adherence to these specifications is especially important in the case of late or fast close material. Image resolution should be sufficient (226 ppi at output size) for 133-line halftone reproduction.
Final Trim: 7 5/8" x 10 1/2"
|Full||6 3/4" x 10"||7 5/8" x 10 1/2"||7 7/8" x 10 3/4"|
|Full Spread||14 3/8" x 10"||15 1/4" x 10 1/2"||15 1/2" x 10 3/4"|
|Strip Ad||7 1/8" x 1 1/16"||7 5/8" x 1 5/16"||7 7/8" x 1 7/16"|
|1/2 Page Horizontal||6 3/4" x 4 5/8"||N/A||7 7/8" x 5 3/8"|
|1/2 Page Vertical||3 3/8" x 10"||N/A||4" x 10 3/4"|
|1/2 Page Horizontal Spread||14 3/8" x 4 5/8"||N/A||15 1/2" x 5 3/8"|
|Square Third||4 3/8" x 4 5/8"||N/A||5 1/8" x 5 3/8"|
U.S. News only requires contract proofs if the client requires their ad to be matched to.
If contract proofs are not supplied, U.S. News & World Report will print to SWOP densities and will not be held responsible for the color reproduction.
All files must include a production contact name, phone number, and e-mail address.
Files and proofs may be sent via delivery service or courier. Files may also be sent via FTP, however proofs should arrive via delivery service or courier. We ask that you call Ad Management at 202-955-2040 or e-mail (email@example.com) if files are sent FTP. Please do not send files via e-mail without contacting Ad Management.
User ID: usnspecs
CDs/proofs should be sent to:
U.S. News & World Report
1050 Thomas Jefferson St. NW
Washington, DC 20007
ATTN: Prepress Dept
The final package should include:
- PDF/X-1a file[s]
- Contract proofs (if matching is required)
- Insertion order
- Production contact name, phone number, and e-mail address